$2,250,000 Settlement for Failure to Timely Diagnose MRSA Infection

Carol represented a 75-year-old gentleman who had a urine culture test done in the emergency room of a hospital in south Jersey. No one called him several days later to tell him that the result was positive for the bacteria known as MRSA, indicating that he had the bacteria in his bladder. No one from the emergency room notified his doctor of the result either. The infection went untreated for several weeks, and ultimately the bacteria spread to his blood, and then to his heart valves. A piece of the bacteria broke off from one of the heart valves, and travelled to his brain, where it caused a stroke leaving him paralyzed on one side of his body. The case was settled for $2,250,000. Two other law firms had turned down the case before the client contacted Carol.