New Jersey Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
Legal Representation After a Life Changing Injury
Every injury affects your life, but some injuries can leave you with a long medical recovery and life-long impact. These injuries are called catastrophic injuries. Many of these types of injuries result in the loss of movement, feeling in the body, and problems with communication and cognitive abilities.
For years, the New Jersey personal injury lawyers at Blume Forte Fried Zerres & Molinari have aggressively fought for people who have suffered catastrophic injuries. We understand that an injury doesn’t just affect the person who got hurt, but their entire family. We’re ready to fight for the rights of injured people. This is why anyone involved in a serious injury accident needs to contact our firm.
We can be reached at (973) 635-5400.
WHAT IS A CATASTROPHIC INJURY?
Catastrophic Injuries, legally, are considered any injury that permanently prevents a person from performing any gainful work. This means that any injury that leaves a person suffering from permanent disability is a catastrophic injury. Many of these injuries are related to injuries to the brain or spine. Catastrophic injuries can put serious stress on a victim and their family because they may have large medical bills and no ability to go back to work.
CAUSES OF CATASTROPHIC INJURY
Over the years, we have seen many causes of catastrophic injuries. These are the most common causes of these injuries:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Slip, trip, and falls
- Birth injuries
If the catastrophic injuries are caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another person, a personal injury claim can be brought. A lawsuit against the responsible party can hold them accountable for your damages and losses.
COMMON TYPES OF TRAUMATIC BRAIN AND SPINAL INJURIES
Most catastrophic injuries are injuries to the brain and spine. Specific brain injuries can include:
- Cerebral contusion (brain bruises)
- Skull fracture
- Hypoxic brain injury (lack of oxygen to the brain)
The symptoms of a serious brain injury include vomiting, nausea, and dizziness. In more severe cases, a brain injury can leave a victim in a coma or even dead.
Spinal cord injuries are damage to the neck, back, hips, or tailbone. Symptoms of these injuries don’t always show themselves immediately. But, you should be on the look out for chronic back pain, neck pain, numbness, walking trouble, and muscle spasms.
COMPENSATION FOR A CATASTROPHIC INJURY CLAIM
Damages in a New Jersey catastrophic injury claim comes in two forms: compensatory damages and punitive damages. Here is the difference between the two:
- Compensatory Damages: this includes compensation for medical treatments, surgeries, rehabilitation, and future medical bills. You can also pursue income for lost wages and lost possible future wages, along with compensation for your property damage, emotional distress, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive Damages: this is compensation that’s awarded in cases where the person who injured you was acting especially careless or reckless, or if they caused the injury on purpose. Punitive damages are meant to punish those actions and deter them from happening again. In New Jersey, punitive damages are capped at $350,000, or five times what the compensatory damages are (whichever amount is higher).
CONTACT US AT (973) 635-5400 TODAY
Blume Forte Fried Zerres & Molinari is here to help you and your family through this tough time. We’ve been there for many New Jersey families. Let us do the same for yours. Contact us today at (973) 635-5400.