According to a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announcement, New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc., d.b.a. New England Compounding Center (NECC) has recalled all of its drugs and medical products due to potential risk of contamination.
The massive recall follows a nationwide meningitis outbreak attributed to contaminated preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate, a steroid produced and distributed by NECC. This particular steroid is used for epidural steroid injections to relieve pain.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the steroid was contaminated by a fungus, which resulted in a rare, non-contagious form of meningitis. The outbreak has resulted in 105 cases, including eight deaths across nine states as of October 8, 2012. While no cases have yet been reported in New Jersey, seven facilities in the state received the contaminated steroids. If you have been treated with steroid injections at any of the following facilities, per information provided by the CDC, you should seek medical attention immediately:
- Central Jersey Orthopedics Specialists, PC, South Plainfield, New Jersey – (908) 561-2122
- Edison Surgical Center, Edison, New Jersey – (732) 452-0123
- IF Pain Associates/Isaiah Florence, Teaneck, New Jersey – (201) 287-1100
- Premier Orthopedics Surg. Assoc., LLC, Vineland, New Jersey – (856) 690-1750
- Comprehensive Pain Management, Sparta, New Jersey – (973) 796-5216
- South Jersey Healthcare, Elmer, New Jersey – (856) 363-1558
- South Jersey Healthcare, Vineland, New Jersey – (856) 641-7557
If you or a loved one has suffered illness or injury as the result of a dangerous or defective/contaminated drug in New Jersey, the knowledgeable NJ product liability lawyers at Blume Forte can examine your potential claim’s circumstances and help you understand your legal rights and options available to you. To learn more, call us for a no-cost consultation at (973) 635-5400.