New Jersey Nursing Home Negligence Attorneys
Legal Help for Victims of Negligence in Nursing Homes
We all hope that as our loved ones get on in years, they will be able to maintain active and healthy lives, where they can independently, or with our assistance, perform activities of daily life. Unfortunately, it is often the case that health issues make it impossible for persons to care for themselves, even with their family’s help. Under those circumstances, it may be required that a person become a resident in a nursing home. In addition, younger people whose conditions are chronic, or who are undergoing long convalescence (e.g., after a stroke, etc.), and can’t care for themselves, may need to have care rendered at a nursing home.
While there are many very fine nursing homes, others fail to provide proper and adequate care which comports with the standards established by the State and the nursing home community.
SOME OF THE MOST COMMON EXAMPLES OF NURSING HOME NEGLIGENCE ARE:
- Failure to appropriately monitor or restrain residents resulting in accidental injury (including falls causing broken hips and wrists)
- Medication errors
- Failure in the care of bedridden residents resulting in decubitus ulcers (bed sores), requiring surgery, or causing loss of limbs and prolonged hospitalizations
- Failure to maintain tracheotomies or ventilator support
- Failure to prevent infection and its spread
- General neglect resulting in dehydration and other conditions
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Administrative failures in the hiring of unqualified personnel
- Physical assault upon residents by staff
In New Jersey, the State Ombudsman’s Office of the Division of Health and Senior Services, is the entity which is assigned to oversee nursing homes and any allegations of neglect of nursing home residents. For more information, call (877)582-6995, or write to the Office of the New Jersey State Ombudsman, P.O. Box 852, Trenton, NJ, 08625.
On a national level, Ombudsman information may be found at: http://www.ltcombudsman.org.
New Jersey personal injury attorneys and medical staff at Blume Forte have the experience and knowledge to determine if the care rendered at a nursing home was substandard, and if such negligence resulted in an injury for which damages may be recovered. Call us at (973) 635-5400 for an evaluation at no cost to you.