A vat of eggnog flavoring exploded at a New Jersey development/manufacturing facility injuring two workers and damaging three floors of a laboratory. According to a WABC news report, the explosion occurred at Pharmachem Laboratories on Adams Drive in Totowa, New Jersey. Officials say the employees were working on a new recipe for eggnog when it ignited. The whole back of the building was “completely blown out,” according to the local Fire Marshal. The workers’ injuries, thankfully, were not life threatening.
Many workplaces in New Jersey have dangerous substances with the potential to explode, cause a fire and/or expose workers and the general public to toxins. If you work at a location that uses or stores solvents, varnishes, flammable gases, paints, petroleum, dusts from machining operations, chemicals or foodstuffs, your health and well being could be at risk.
All workplaces that house or utilize dangerous substances must:
- Assess the risks posed to workers in the event of a fire or explosion
- Identify exposure and other hazards (e.g., explosion, fire, etc.)
- Identify who is in danger (and advise those people accordingly)
- Determine what precautions should be taken (including those mandated by State, Federal and other Regulations or guidelines)
- Implement control measures, and adjust them as required
- Regularly review the risk assessment (and protect employees and the general public accordingly)
If you have been injured in a fire, explosion or exposure to toxins on the job, it is important that you seek secure immediate appropriate medical attention. Victims of such injuries can pursue compensation for their losses by filing for New Jersey Workers’ Compensation benefits, and possibly may pursue third-party claims, if warranted. An experienced New Jersey personal injury lawyer can help injured people, including workers and their families with their potential claims and help ensure that their rights are protected during the process. Please contact the experienced attorneys at Blume Forte at (973) 635-5400 to discuss your potential claim.