Doctors, Midwives, Nurses and other healthcare providers, in order to prevent harm to patients, are required to administer medical treatment within the standards of care required and recognized by the medical profession. If a medical professional fails to comport with those standards in treating a patient, and such failures result in significant permanent injury, then the healthcare providers may be liable for civil claims surrounding medical negligence assertions.
At Blume Forte Fried Zerres & Molinari, our experienced and compassionate attorneys understand how difficult it can be for families to cope with the medical and other issues suffered by a child who was injured during birth (birth trauma).
If a patient sustains an injury, various actions or assertions that can be pursued surrounding birth injuries include but are not limited to:
- A failure to perform a cesarean section delivery in a timely fashion;
- A failure to detect complications during labor or birth and treat accordingly;
- Administering dangerous or contraindicated dosages of medication to the mother and unborn child;
- A failure to timely monitor and properly interpret fetal heart monitor tracings;
- An inappropriate use of delivery modalities (e.g., use of forceps or vacuum extractors).
Medical negligence can result in a lifetime of disability and inordinate economic stress relative to expenses associated with, hospital bills, required therapy and other treatment, assistive devices, specialized education, home modifications, lost earning capacity, etc.
If you suspect that a medical professional’s negligent actions caused your child to sustain some degree of permanent disability, it may be possible for you to pursue financial compensation.
Contact Blume Forte Fried Zerres & Molinari to learn more about your legal rights and options at no cost or obligation to you. We have extensive experience pursuing medical malpractice cases.